i don't think anyone would deny that marriage can be tricky. we are constantly bombarded by unsolicited advice on how to make it work... some good... some not. why not get a little it more?? these are a few things i've learned along the way!
10. Lie. "Do my thighs look cellulite-y in these shorts?" "No, they look fantastic."
9. Touch each other like you did when you were dating. hold hands, an arm around the shoulder, these things go a long way. sometimes we just need a reminder that we like this person.
8. Talk about your spouse when they're not there, as if they are. any opportunity you have to say something kind about them, DO IT. our words are the overflow of our heart. be encouraging, not critical.
7. Go to bed mad. some arguments are just not going to be solved tonight. sometimes you just need to get some sleep and things won't look so bad in the morning!
6. Master bedrooms are for parents, not children. parent's bed is no place for kids. it's for parents. if you want to stay (happily) married, keep your kids out of your bed. if you want tips on how to get them out of there, email me!
5. Men are insecure too. say nice things to them. they need to hear it as much as we do.
4. Have as much sex as possible. even if you don't feel like it. the more you do it, the more you will want to.
3. Remember why you fell in love. remind yourself when you want to kill each other. if you have them, look at pictures! if things get really tough, go to counseling. this is not a failure or a weakness, it's a determination.
2. forgive, forgive, forgive. and then forgive some more.
1. there are seasons of life that are less conducive to happy marriage. pregnancy, raising young children, grieving, just to name a few. during these times, remind yourself that: this too shall pass. and keep doing what you know you should do, even when you don't feel like it. you will never regret investing in your marriage. it is the single most important thing you can do for your children. it's worth it!