Friday, June 12, 2009

swine flu, bird flu, monkey flu....

it's official! a member of my extended family (possibly two members) have the swine flu. it's been in our town for a few weeks now and i've known a few people who have had it. while i'm obviously hoping my kids don't get it, i'm concerned about myself getting it since preggos can't take the vaccine. i don't know much about it but i'm pretty sure it would be more dangerous to babyG than my other kids. in general, i'm a pretty laid back mom. i don't freak out about germs and when my kids catch something from a friend's kids i just attribute it to part of life. but in this scenerio, i'm thankful that school is out and that the chances of contracting something are greatly reduced because of it. it's always something, isn't it?

1 comment:

Sassy said...

Yeah that stinks! As far as the vaccine and being pregnant, everything I have read recommends pregnant women to get vaccinated. It isn't a live virus so it is relatively safe. In fact my OB has signs up in her office advising you to get the flu shot if you are pregnant. It might be something to look into. The only thing is it would be difficult to get it this time of year since they usually run out by March. But again, it doesn't hurt to ask your doctor.