Tuesday, November 1, 2011

the first of november

i like november 1st. do you know why? because it means halloween is over. which means i can stop explaining to people why we don't celebrate halloween. and then explain that i don't think they're going to hell if they do. it gets complicated. and i know that this next part is gonna come as a big shock but.... halloween is an issue that theMr and i don't agree on. i'll give you a moment to digest the fact that we are not perfect and we argue. i know, it's hard to swallow. see i grew up in a "don't celebrate halloween or trick or treat" family. but theMr grew up in a family where halloween was a big deal and they went all out for it. therein lies the issue. what does that mean for us? it means we've both had to compromise. we don't trick or treat. but we do let the kids dress up and attend alternative events. my husband is gracious enough to not push an issue that i feel strongly about, even though it means missing that event with his family. i try not to dwell on the fact that dressing up and getting candy is still awfully close to celebrating for my taste. but my kids look so darn cute in their costumes :)



a beauty queen, a ladybug, a soldier, a princess and buzz lightyear walk into a bar zoo...

even grown up princesses need their daddies...


the title of this picture is "I'VE HAD A LOT OF SUGAR!!!"


one (cold) happy family!











6 comments:

Sarah said...

Please don't think I've copied you when my blog post goes up tomorrow LOL It's the same way here as well but more on that tomorrow :)

themrs said...

lol tis the season :) it's always nice to know i'm not alone in my convictions!

Beth H said...

Hi Abby, just found your blog site. Absolutely love it. I met you through the Berners. You have a beautiful family.

themrs said...

hi Beth! welcome and thank you!!!! if you're new, you may check out the most popular posts tab on the main page :) thanks for commenting!

bex said...

I grew up in a No Trick or Treating or celebrating Halloween family either. My parents would pull us from school if they had Halloween parties. We aren't like that with our kids, but I totally get where your'er coming from. Your kids are quite adorable in their outfits!

themrs said...

Thanks Bex! it always interests me to hear how others handle it :)